Welcome!

Come in! Have a cup of coffee, maybe a piece of chocolate... Don't mind the thread snips... They keep the Dust Bunnies occupied.
Join me on my journey through the world of quilting. I'll be showing pics of WIPs (Works In Progress), finished quilts, UFOs (Un-Finished Objects), and maybe even a "How I did that" every now and then. I hope you enjoy your visit.

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Another Giftmas Quilt and SBS update

Why do we insist on trying to photograph a tall thing with a wide thing?  This is my Dad's quilt.  After his time in the Navy, he spent the next 30 years trying to bring a little calm to the chaos.
Finding fabrics devoted to the Navy and/or Law Enforcement was not the easiest task I set myself last fall, but I am pretty pleased with the result.  Finding a pattern that showcased the fabrics while not being "girly" made the task all that much easier.

After a trip to the LQS with redwork and applique' Sunbonnet Sues in hand, a layout design has been decided on.  The wider block layout seems to flow better, but will try both again after they are framed just to be sure.  Each block will get a narrow red frame, then 4" wide white sashing will give me room to do flower, leaf and vine applique' between the redwork blocks.  Wider sashing between the corner applique' blocks to finish out the framing will have the same flower, leaf and vine pattern, but will be done in redwork.  A red border to tie it all together, and another WIP will be history.

In other news, the International SBS BOM book came in, and I picked it up yesterday.  Now I have the 3 April kits, the book, and all the notions and tools needed to complete said blocks.  You'd think I'd be chomping at the bit to get started on them... but wait, did you notice I did not mention background fabric?  That's because I forgot to buy any!  Looks like stash diving will be my next olympic event.
That's it for now,
See Y'All Later!

2 comments:

  1. i love love love love love the Sunbonnet Sue!!! Well, i LOVE Dad's quilt too!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me whatcha think!