Welcome!

Come in! Have a cup of coffee, maybe a piece of chocolate... Don't mind the thread snips... They keep the Dust Bunnies occupied.
Join me on my journey through the world of quilting. I'll be showing pics of WIPs (Works In Progress), finished quilts, UFOs (Un-Finished Objects), and maybe even a "How I did that" every now and then. I hope you enjoy your visit.

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Baltimore Album Quilts... What's Up With That?

   First, a disclaimer: My understanding comes from having only scratched the surface on this subject.  I am sure I will not get every detail right, I will try to keep the errors to a minimum.

    Baltimore Album Quilts, or BAQs have a pretty unique place in the world of quilting.  They are one of the few styles that can not only be pinpointed to a time period, they have a small original location, and an even smaller group of original designers.
    Current patterns are innumerable, and available in many formats.  There are books, printed patterns, online patterns, BOMs, groups and clubs, the possibilities are endless.  Many BAQs are now designed with a theme,  including several Christmas and Halloween. BAQs ranging from the simple, to the very intricate.


Historically speaking, BAQs were designed and produced in Baltimore Maryland first in the 1840s.  Hence their name.  Best knowledge says there were 3 to 5 designers.  Yep, thats right only 5.  They would draw each block and others would sew them, then all the blocks would be joined to make the finished quilt. For the most part, a BAQ would be made by a group of women who regularly quilted together.  It's purpose was a gift, often to a member of clergy who was leaving for a new posting, or retiring.  I am sure there were many others made for other reasons, but so far, this is the most common reason I have found.

This is a computer generated picture of the finished quilt I should end up with 15 months from now following along with the BAQ BOM I am starting on.




A few links with examples and more in-depth info:
Appliqué with Elly
Buckley Album
Baltimore Album Quilt: Elegant Sampler Quilts
I hope I have answered a few questions and piqued interest in learning more.
Want to join me in this BAQ BOM?  Here's a link to all the info!
BAQ Block of the Month Club

OK!  See Y'all Later

2 comments:

  1. I really like the block that you show there in your post but some of them in the links are so busy looking....not sure those would be favorites of mine. They look like the really old fashioned quilts my Grandmother had (if my memory serves me right....which it probably doesn't...lol). What were we talking about again????? :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like them! I'm going to have to do more research, I think. I'm not sure that I wrapped my mind around all of that in my half-asleep stupor lol.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me whatcha think!