Welcome!

Come in! Have a cup of coffee, maybe a piece of chocolate... Don't mind the thread snips... They keep the Dust Bunnies occupied.
Join me on my journey through the world of quilting. I'll be showing pics of WIPs (Works In Progress), finished quilts, UFOs (Un-Finished Objects), and maybe even a "How I did that" every now and then. I hope you enjoy your visit.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Seeing Red... Work that is

   Yesterday I mentioned Redwork.
   Redwork, or redwork embroidery is what we would now call line art, stitched in a single color (usually red, although more modern examples come in any color), using stem, lazy daisy, backstitch and french knot stitches.  If we look in Hogwarts, A History... Er I mean Redwork, History we find that redwork first became popular in the 1870s thanks to a process that allowed for the manufacture of a boilfast red cotton thread. What does boilfast mean?  First, you have to remember that in the 1870s washing clothes was done by hand, in a large tub, outside, generally over a fire, near or next to the clothesline.  A skillful worker would be able to use the right amount of wood in the fire to have it last just long enough to finish the week's washing.  White clothing and linens were washed first while the water was the hottest, perhaps even boiling. Then would come the darker colored clothing, last would be the darkest cloth.  The water was not changed between loads, nor generally reheated.  
   Now, back to our thread.  Stitchery was almost always done on white cloth, and so would hit the wash water first.  Prior to the production of Turkey Red cotton thread, running, or bleeding of color from the thread was a constant concern.  By 1920 or so other colors would begin to be offered that were boilfast, or as became more common to call them- colorfast.  By the 1930s redwork would start being replaced by piecing as the main means of producing quilt blocks, thanks to the colorful feedsacks marketed to the farmer (while aimed at his wife).  A topic for another day.
   The last SBS is finished, and now it is time to start seriously looking at layout for the redwork quilt.





These blocks are ready to be put into a quilt top along with the 4 applique Sunbonnet Sues which will be the corner blocks.  Since there are 7 redwork SBSs, getting everything lined up and centered could prove interesting.  The applique blocks will be left as they are, these will have a trapunto element to them.  More on trapunto when this quilt is further along if anyone expresses an interest.

Cool Link of the Day:  American Quilter's Society

1 comment:

  1. I thought this was what it was! I have some that Mrs. Coyote gave me. I can't wait to do it! It's taking all my self-control to not start it, but I know I cannot start another project before i finish the others.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me whatcha think!