Welcome!

Come in! Have a cup of coffee, maybe a piece of chocolate... Don't mind the thread snips... They keep the Dust Bunnies occupied.
Join me on my journey through the world of quilting. I'll be showing pics of WIPs (Works In Progress), finished quilts, UFOs (Un-Finished Objects), and maybe even a "How I did that" every now and then. I hope you enjoy your visit.

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Taken A-Back...Basting that is...

This is the 2nd block of applique from my BOM class.  Placement was a tiny issue with a couple of the petals, but it gives it a windblown look so I am thinking of leaving it as it is.

This block, along with yesterday's block were done with needle-turn and an overlay to determine placement.  I'm not sure if the issue is static electricity, or just me being fumble-y I can get the piece in it's correct place under the overlay, but cannot seem to get the overlay back off the block with the piece still in place.

There are other methods for hand applique that I have/am/want to explore to see if perhaps another technique might work better for me.

With very few variations, the way we are doing the blocks in class is the "Piece o' Cake" way.  Now maybe part of my problem is we are using thicker vinyl than what they show in their DVD.  I need to find some lighter weight/thinner vinyl and try it to see if I can have better luck holding the piece in place while lifting the overlay back off of the block.

The next technique I learned about in January at the Sewing Expo.  It is called back basting.  I have used it once, and had fairly good success with it, but turned under a fraction too much of the fabric.  When the block was finished, you could see my stitching lines were just inside or off-side of the traced lines on the back of the foundation fabric.  I am learning more about this method and will try it again soon.



That's all I have this morning...
See Y'all later!

1 comment:

  1. I don't even see a petal out of place and please tell me you are not serious when you say you would redo it....

    ReplyDelete

Tell me whatcha think!